2005-10-28

Pollution of a different kind

I just read this little Andy Rooney-esque rant on wired: [LINK]. It ends with a good line: "The world is noisy enough without adding completely useless aural pollution to the mix. So knock it off, wouldja?"

I agree. Noise pollution is out of control, both inside and outside cities. Living in LA has been a loud 4 years. Whenever I get away from the constant cacophony of loud, distracting noises, I am berated by a not-quite-white noise the fills the background. I live near the intersection of I-405 and I-10, and there the background drone is constant. At 4:00AM I wake up and hear traffic. At 9:00AM I wake up and hear traffic. The only relief is from other, louder noises.

That is all. We should learn to be quieter in all respects.

3 comments:

Saheli said...

My friend from middle school started a group to ban car alarms in New York City, but sadly it appears to now be defunct.

Anonymous said...

If it's too loud, you're too old! Oh wait, that doesn't seem right....
cyn

Anonymous said...

car alarms are a problem in my neighborhood too... you can tell who is new to the area when their car alarm goes off for every bus, motorcycle, airplane, or rice rocket with booming stereo that goes by. I live 4 blocks from the beach. If I'm lucky, on a very, very quiet night, at 3 AM I can hear the waves.